Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Battlestations Midway

5/10
I'm into turn-based strategy games like Civilization, Axis & Allies, and Chess. Real time strategy games like Warcraft tend to overwhelm me with micromanagement. Battlestations Midway is real time strategy, but most of the game involves the management of fairly slow naval units, so I thought I could handle it.

Everything was going fine for the first few hours. Compelling story, nice graphics, I felt like I was learning quite a bit about the Japanese and US Pacific Fleets in 1942, until I hit a mission in which I took control of the USS Lexington, an aircraft carrier. Turns out that if you give multiple aircraft squadrons orders to land at the same time, none of them land, they just circle the carrier. By the time I figured out how to remedy the situation, the Lexington was on her way to the murky depths. Not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment