Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Second World War

9/10
When I first caught the World War II bug, about five years ago, I was in England and quickly bought the first book I could find that looked like it could give me a good overview of the conflict: the Penguin History of the Second World War. I quickly discovered that it was written for an audience with an advanced understanding of the subject matter and soon shelved it.

When my latest obsession emerged I sought out a more accessible read to get me up to speed on the basics. John Keegan's The Second World War fit the bill perfectly. It doesn't assume prior knowledge of the War. It opens with a brief discussion of some of the root causes, but quickly moves on to Hitler's rise to power, the Anschluss, and the invasions of Czechoslovakia and Poland. It spends just the right amount of time on each subject and includes enough maps and photographs to give some flavor without distracting the reader from the prose, which is compelling without being pulpy.

Keegan presents an epic narrative, focusing on the military campaigns and the soldiers' experiences but also addressing the impact on the lives of civilians. Highly recommended for a first-read foundation-level understanding of the conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment