Saturday, January 24, 2009

Call of Duty: World at War

10/10
This game sparked my current obsession with the second world war, which is the highest praise I can bestow. I played and enjoyed Calls of Duty 1-4, particularly the fourth, which was set in the present day. However, I only decided to purchase World at War after a great deal of deliberation on whether my money would be better spent on Gears of War 2. Needless to say, I am far from disappointed.

The game is divided between a narrative campaign, which can be played solo or with up to three friends, and an extensive multi-player mode which builds on the highly-acclaimed equivalent in Call of Duty 4. The campaign is further divided between two characters: a US Marine fighting to take Japanese-held islands in the Pacific, and a Russian soldier participating in the vengeful push against the Wehrmacht from Stalingrad to Berlin.

What makes the game so captivating for me is that these two stories are so different from each other, and from the vast majority of WWII video games, which tend to focus exclusively on the Allied invasion of Normandy. Playing through these campaigns I began to realize how weakly I grasped the global scope of the War. I was struck by the extent that the Red Army suffered to grind down the bulk of the German Army on the Eastern Front. I was shocked by the guile and ruthlessness of the Japanese defenders in the Pacific, forces that have rarely appeared in the virtual arena.

The multi-player mode only cemented my fascination. The weapons have clearly been given a great deal of attention, and the class system expertly allows the player to tailor her experience to suit individual preferences and play styles. The voice chatter certainly breaks the WWII atmosphere, but the "mute player" option is always available to preserve sanity.

Highly recommended for anyone with a passing interest in shooters or WWII. Please do not allow your under 18-year old children anywhere near this game. Spouses may require that earphones be purchased, in which case I recommend the Turtle Beach Ear Force X4.

No comments:

Post a Comment